VES Communication Policy
Staff January 2021
- VES Communication Policy (CP) to promote partnerships between the school, parents, pupils and the wider community through efficient and effective communication.
- Definition of communication every member of staff has a responsibility to support effective communications and needs to recognise that the quality of their communications reflects on the school’s reputation.
- VES strive to ensure that communications between all members of the school community are clear, professional,timely and effective in their purpose.
- Depending on the nature of the communication, the school will use the most practicable means to contact the recipient. Communication on issues that affect the safety and wellbeing of a pupil will be treated as a priority.
- The key members for a school are parents and pupils and this Communication Policy addresses the main ways in which the school will ensure there is effective two-way communication between home and school.
Victoria English School aims to ensure that communications between all school community members are precise,professional, timely, and appropriate.
- Ensure that the students, parents, staff, and broader community are kept well informed
- Ensure that there are clear structures and outline form of communication for each deemed purpose
- Ensure that the method of communication is appropriate in context and the audience
- Ensure that the language is clear and be easily understood by al
- Ensure that communication response is within a reasonable time
- Ensure that the communication is data protected and be within the core values of VE
- Ensure that communication of sensitive nature keeps Private and Confidential
Internal Communication Staff
Internal communication with staff may be sub-headed into four categories
- Communication that is deemed essential and urgent can be direct with the individual staff member: face-to-face or telephone calls.
- General communication can be directly communicated through the various approved school communication channels: Phone Call, Slack, or Emails. Whatsapp is not to be used for professional purposes.
- Communication involving sensitive information for staff about students and parents will only be available on a need-to-know information: cases involving parental disputes,
- Communication that is deemed necessary due to medical reasons and needs to know for staff involved with the student health and safety
Staff Communication with other staff or SLT
- To communicate regularly with each other, preferably face to face or email, to ensure information is available and understood within the context of the classroom and working environment.
- To ensure they are informed and have access to information to be as effective as possible in their role and support their work within the school.
- To use open channels of two-way communication to keep the leadership team and colleagues informed.
- To check the Staff Update email each week after the briefing/meeting.
- To ensure that emails are checked at least once a day and responded to if necessary.
Staff Communication Via Media:
- Media technology can serve as a powerful tool to enhance education, communication, and learning however it has to be carried out safely and responsible manner as well as academically supportive of the environment of VES.
- Staff are requested to use appropriate privacy settings to control access to their personal social media sites. However, they must be aware that there are limitations to privacy settings and need to be very observant and report any form of breach to their personal social media by any student, parents or other person. As a result, staff need to be responsible for understanding the rules of the social media sites they utilize.
- Staff may not add/tag parents or students of VES to their social media.
- Whatsapp must not be used for any official school communication.
Zoom Communication with Students and Parents:
- Personal communication with students and parents via zoom may be monitored by observing the mood, action, and expressions that a staff member projects to the online classes or meeting with parents.
- Being clear, consistent and transparent is a positive attribute when engaging with a class or meeting with parents.
- Zoom calls and communication with students and parents must be logged on the Call/Zoom Record Form. The form is available via:forms.gle/aXd1JXmSNhAXzUu26
- Zoom calls should be recorded, with parents informed, and kept for up to 28 days to deal with any further issues.
Phone Calls to Students and Parents:
- When communicating with parents or students staff must identify themselves.
- Also ensure that you are calling the parents of the students by asking them to identify themselves as the parents or guardian.
- Ensure that you are taking to the legal guardian of the student as only one of the parents may be the legal guardian– the information is available on Breeze.
- Phone calls to parents or students may only be made from the school number and never from your private phone.
- Answer phone messages left by students or parents at reception if possible within the same day or no more than 24 hours.
- If parents or students do not answer the phone leave a clear and written message with the receptionist for parents or students in order for them to know who tried to communicate with them.
- Ensure that you log your calls to parents even if there is no response on the Calls/Zoom Response Form. The form is available via: forms.gle/aXd1JXmSNhAXzUu26
- Phone calls that you deem inappropriate must be reported at once to the SLT team via email or in person.
Emails to Students and Parents:
- When writing emails use the email subject line to your advantage as a short summary of your email.
- Ensure that you salutations are appropriate by addressing Dear parent, or if responding to an email using Mrs, Mr, Dr, Eng .
- If parents write an email that you feel need the advice of a Year Leader, Coordinator of SLT member please consult them on how to respond to the parents.
- Emails that you may find inappropriate must be reported at once to the SLT via email or in person.
- Keep the email appropriate to the audience that you are addressing students/parents and write a clear message that you would like to communicate.
Private and Confidential Information Teachers:
- All communication between parents, students and staff are confidential and may only be shared with the relevant people.
- Teachers may not share Private and Confidential information without the prior permission of the appropriate authorities.
- Teachers may not discuss, inform or publicise any private or confidential information especially pertaining to students or parents.